Constitution and Bylaws of The Kyoto Chapter of The Japan Association for Language Teaching
Constitution of the Kyoto Chapter of The Japan Association for Language Teaching
I. Name and Purpose
- The name of the association shall be the Kyoto Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching, and in Japanese, Zenkoku Gogaku Kyouiku Gakkai Kyoto Shibu, hereinafter referred to as JALT Kyoto.
- JALT Kyoto is a chapter of the nationwide “NPO The Japan Association for Language Teaching,” hereinafter referred to as JALT. Its purpose is to serve as the regional entity of JALT in Kyoto, conducting activities for those interested in the improvement of language teaching and learning in Japan, and contributing to the development of activities in language teaching and learning, social education, and international cooperation.
- In the conduct of its activities, JALT Kyoto shall comply with the policies and directives of the JALT National Executive Board, and act in accordance with the provisions of the national constitution and bylaws.
- Membership is open to those interested in language teaching and learning.
- A person who joins JALT may choose to be a member of JALT Kyoto.
- A person who does not join JALT, may choose to join JALT Kyoto as a local member.
- A person who does not join JALT or JALT Kyoto may participate in any local event as a one-day trial member.
III. Chapter Meetings and the Annual General Meeting
- JALT Kyoto will periodically sponsor or endorse events related to language education. This may be done independently or in cooperation with JALT, Associate Members of JALT, other JALT groups or other organizations interested in language education.
- JALT Kyoto shall hold an Annual General Meeting, as part of a regular monthly meeting, prior to the JALT Conference EBM. At this meeting, the chapter officers will report on the state of the chapter’s treasury, programs, membership, and publicity during the period since the last Annual General Meeting. Officers for the coming year will be elected at the AGM. This meeting may be done as a face to face meeting, or within an online environment over a fixed period of time.
- The Annual General Meeting will be preceded by adequate notification to the membership. Members of the chapter present at the Annual General Meeting will constitute a quorum.
IV. Officers and Administration
- JALT Kyoto’s Executive Board will consist of a minimum of five officers, including a President, a Treasurer, a Program Chair, a Membership Chair and a Publicity Chair. If sufficient volunteers are available to serve, additional officer positions to the required five will be filled. More than one officer may share a specific position and the duties of that office.
- At the JALT Kyoto Executive Board meetings, five officers, including the President, will constitute a quorum, with each officer having one vote. When the physical presence of a quorum is impractical, mail or electronic communication may be used to obtain the approval of the officers for the JALT Kyoto Executive Board to conduct business on behalf of JALT Kyoto.
- The JALT Kyoto Executive Board will meet periodically to discuss the chapter’s plans for chapter meetings and activities, and to discuss the implications of policies under consideration or already implemented by the JALT National Executive Board. An agenda will be prepared before the meeting, and minutes of the meeting will be provided to JALT Kyoto Executive Board members. Alternatively electronic discussions using email shall be used when face to face meetings are not possible.
- The president or a designated chapter representative is authorized to act on behalf of the organization in its dealings with the JALT National Executive Board.
- The JALT Kyoto Executive Board shall determine and announce the date for the Annual General Meeting. At the AGM, each of the five primary officers will present an oral report and provide a written report covering operations for their area of responsibility to be distributed to the members present. All written reports will also be posted to the chapter website.
- The JALT Kyoto Executive Board will consider any suggestion or proposal submitted in writing by a JALT Kyoto member, and reply in writing upon request.
Amendments to this Constitution shall be proposed by a majority vote of the JALT Kyoto Executive Board. Any such proposed amendments shall be distributed to the members before the Annual General Meeting. To become effective, constitutional amendments must be approved by two-thirds of the members voting at the Annual General Meeting.
Bylaws of The Kyoto Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching
I. Membership and Dues
- JALT Kyoto National Membership dues shall be determined by JALT.
- JALT Kyoto Local Membership dues shall be determined by the JALT Kyoto Executive Board.
- JALT Kyoto One-Day Membership dues shall be determined by the JALT Kyoto Executive Board.
- The chapter shall maintain a minimum number of national members in good standing in accordance with the requirements stated in the JALT Constitution and Bylaws.
II. Officer Duties and Committees
- President: The President shall have general responsibility for coordinating the activities of the JALT Kyoto Executive Board, directing and publicizing the affairs of the chapter, and representing its interests to the JALT National Executive Board. He/ She shall preside at the JALT Kyoto Executive Board meetings, and at the Annual General Meeting. With the approval of the JALT Kyoto Executive Board, he/she may appoint committees as deemed necessary to carry out the work of the organization.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer shall maintain all financial records, be responsible for collecting and disbursing all funds of JALT Kyoto, accepting payment of membership dues, reimbursing individuals for JALT-related expenses, and submitting financial reports as directed by JALT policy, including the annual budget.
- Program Chair: The Program Chair shall be responsible for supervising the arrangements for JALT Kyoto chapter meetings, communication with speakers and recruitment of prospective speakers. He/She must also provide timely information to the Publicity Chair and fulfill all reporting requirements about meetings and presenters for the JALT Program Database.
- Publicity Chair: The Publicity Chair shall be responsible for coordinating JALT Kyoto’s publicity and public relations in both JALT and non-JALT forums.
- The Membership Chair shall be responsible for the maintenance of current and past member records, communicating with the JALT Central Office and working at the reception desk at meetings.
- The position each officer holds shall be determined by the JALT Kyoto Executive Board. In addition to the five required positions, officer positions may be instituted to identify other important responsibilities such as: Recording Secretary, Facilities Chair, Vice President, Web Communications Developer, Journal Editor, Group Liaison and Member-at-Large. In addition, any number of volunteer officers may work together as a team using titles to reflect such sharing of responsibilities such as Co-Publicity, etc.
- Membership on committees appointed by the President is open to ordinary chapter members. The chair of each committee, however, must be a member of the JALT Kyoto Executive Board.
III. Nominations, Elections, Vacancies, and Removals
- Nominations for officers by members in good standing shall be solicited and accepted by the JALT Kyoto Executive Board, either in writing prior to the Annual General Meeting or in person at the meeting.
- Candidates must acknowledge acceptance of nomination, and provide relevant biographical information at the Annual General Meeting.
- The Executive Board members shall be empowered to poll the voting members in the form of a primary chapter election in order to determine a slate of officers to be presented as a motion for approval by the Executive Board. There is no limit to the number of officer positions that can be created or shared. Voting members shall include JALT Members and Kyoto Chapter Local Members.
- If no officer positions are being contested among two or more candidates, the JALT Kyoto Executive Board may present the full slate of officers to the membership at the Annual General Meeting for approval by the members present. If there are contested positions, elections will take place at the Annual General Meeting or prior to the AGM via the Internet, with the results subject to approval by the JALT Kyoto Executive Board.
- The terms of office shall be for one year. The terms of office shall be from the end of the JALT Ordinary General Meeting up to and including the next year’s Ordinary General Meeting. Reelection shall not be prohibited.
- If for any reason an office becomes vacant, the vacancy shall be filled by Presidential appointment, subject to approval by the JALT Kyoto Executive Board.
- An officer who fails to perform his/her duties under the JALT Kyoto Constitution and Bylaws, the JALT Kyoto Executive Board policies, or the JALT National Executive Board policies may be removed from office by a three-fourths vote of the JALT Kyoto Executive Board.
- The chapter shall hold a minimum number of meetings each year in accordance with the requirements stated in the JALT Constitution and Bylaws.
- In the event of convening an Annual General Meeting, written notice of date, place, purposes and agenda of the Annual General Meeting shall reach JALT Kyoto members at least 5 days before the Annual General Meeting.
V. Financial Year
JALT Kyoto’s financial year shall begin on April 1st and end on March 31st.
For administrative purposes, the working languages of JALT Kyoto shall be English and/or Japanese.
Amendments to these Bylaws may be proposed by a majority vote of the JALT Kyoto Executive Board. Any such proposed amendments shall be distributed to the members before the Annual General Meeting. To become effective, proposed amendments must be approved by a simple majority of the members voting at the Annual General Meeting. Alternatively, these Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the JALT Kyoto Executive Board.
VIII. Management of Meetings
The President shall recommend procedures for the management of the JALT Kyoto Executive Board, the Chapter Meetings, and the Annual General Meeting. In case of objections to such recommendations, the Executive Board members present shall discuss and agree upon rules and procedures to manage the meeting, consistent with the Constitution and Bylaws.
Approved by the Kyoto Executive Board in November, 2019.
Approved by the JALT Executive Board on February 8, 2020.